Back to School 2020: The Links We Love
September 16, 2020
Welcome to the Links We Love blog series! Every year, we update The Study Hall blog with a new set of awesome links, helpful information, educational resources and ideas for learning and family time fun. Have a recommendation for a website or resource? Email it to us: email@example.com and we’ll add it to the next blog!
Federal Departments, Pediatric & Medical Resources, Nonprofits
- American Academy of Pediatrics - dedicated to the health of all children.
- US Department of Education - fostering educational excellence.
- Library of Congress - offering up their vast digital collection of resources for teachers.
- Centers for Disease Control - helping to keep your family healthy and safe.
- National Catholic Educational Association - supporting ongoing faith formation and the teaching mission of the Catholic Church.
- National Association of Independent Schools - uniting the Independent school community.
- National Alliance for Public Charter Schools - a leader in federal education policy and a prominent advocate to improve state charter policy.
- Southern Association of Independent Schools - high quality accreditation, professional growth opportunities, and leadership development programs.
- PBS KIDS - free access to media content and community-based experiences for young children.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of America - providing voluntary after-school programs for young people.
Home Study Environment Resources
The right learning environment sets up every child for success.
- ConnectionsAcademy - how to create an organized classroom in a limited space.
- HGTV's Homework Haven - how to set up the perfect remote learning station for kids.
- The Spruce - from closets to hallways, 20 innovative homework stations for kids and teens.
- HealthyChildren.org - tips on successfully transitioning to working and learning at home.
- Red Tricycle - advice for parents who are working from home with kids in online-school.
- Parents.com - creating a work-from-home schedule with kids that won't cause stress.
- PBS Parents - helpful reminders about making routines in this "new normal".
Educator & Distance Learning Resources
Whether it's full-time, a tutoring session or a sick day, these helpful resources enrich remote education.
- Scholastic - 20 days of active learning journeys to sustain education for those unable to attend school.
- We Are Teachers - a compilation of links to grade-specific learning platforms: Elementary, Middle & High School, K-12, Remote Learning
- The Smithsonian Institute Learning Lab - free to the public, covering an amazing array of subjects.
- Nat Geo @ Home - National Geographic's amazing collection of lessons for kids K-12.
- Crayola - art education complete with lesson plans, learning videos and more.
- The Kennedy Center - enrich at-home education with art - music, dance, artwork and more.
- NASA STEM Learning - K-4th grade Club - science games, activities, and coloring sheets.
- NASA STEM Engagement - Grades 5-8 - engineering activities, games, even astronaut training.
- New York Times - 80 expert tips for remote learning, from educators to educators.
Music, Art, Literature & Culture
- Lunch Doodles - with Mo Willems, author of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.
- ThisGirlCan - Disney dance-alongs for the whole family.
- Yo Gabba Gabba - music, dancing, singing and every episode is on YouTube for free.
- We Are Teachers - an updated list of favorite childrens’ book authors doing read-alongs.
- Just Books Read Aloud - a huge collection of children's storybooks read aloud!
- National Museum of Natural History - join The Smithsonian on this virtual tour.
- The British Museum - Google's virtual tour is completely interactive.
- The Van Gogh Museum - over 200 paintings and 500 drawings by one of the greatest painters who ever lived.
- MetKids - New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art's interactive tour just for kids.
Just For Fun
There are endless online recommendations for activities, themes, tutorials, etc that are just plain fun and entertaining. Here are some of our favorites.
- Young Chef's Club - America's Test Kitchen Kid's site is full of recipes and activities for the kitchen.
- Forkly for Kids - Dig in! There are tons of recipes and snack-y projects for kids to help make.
- Animals, Animals, Animals! Live streams, TV Shows and more.
- Jelly Cam - Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Koala Cam - San Diego Zoo
- Farm Cam - Wisconsin Pasture Farm Sanctuary
- Bear Cam - Brooks Falls at Katmai National Park
- Bird Cams - AllAboutBirds.org, Cornell University's ornithology lab.
- San Diego Zoo - even more live cams! Pandas, penguins and more.
- Animal Planet - full episodes of Too Cute, The Zoo, The Aquarium and more.
- The Cornell Lab - Cornell University's Ornithology Department focuses on bird education for K-12.
Make sure you check back here for the 2021 Back to School Links We Love - coming soon!